After reading and discussing this article I came to the conclusion that Roberts is never satisfied. It seems he stays at a place for a little while than he finds something to complain about and if something grinds his gears he will try to argue with the upper staff once and if he does not succeed he moves on in hope of finding perfect job. It is understandable in his last job where his pay was essentially cut in half. He has the right to try and fight it but he yells at his boss then leaves.
We discussed what factors of motivation force him to change jobs and we figure out that his work never holds any satisfaction for him. The only reason he stays at these place is that he is never dissatisfied. If one factor changes for the worse he gets up and leaves.
I agree that he is never satisfied. He has his mind set on being a supervisor, or at least on moving up in a company structure. At the places that he has been he has not been given this opportunity. This does fall under motivation though because his growth needs are not being satisfied. Self-actualization; the institutional need to make the most of unique abilities and strive to be the best, is not being met for him. He cannot be satisfied or motivated fully because he still has unmet needs.
ReplyDeleteThis is sort of how the job culture of America has changed over the past few years. Gone are the days where someone is in a job and stays there the rest of their working life. People always want more and strive for more powerful positions. I don't see this as a bad change because other countries are doing this too and their countries are prospering from it. Competition leads to improvement and Gary not settling with the card he's been handed is a good example of that.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that he was never satisfied. I think that he wanted so much out of his job that he set himself up for failure. There must have been something else that was missing for him to want so much to come from his job. As Karli said he was not able to self-actualize because his job was not satisfying. It seems as though he may never achieve that thought because his need of a perfect job are unrealistic.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the second comment here. I was told that since I'm going to be entering into the business world I should be prepared to change jobs at least 4 times in my life. However my dad has been with the same company since he graduated from college. Time are definitely changing and I can see why Roberts is constantly changing jobs. His needs are not being met so he's doing the rational thing and moving elsewhere with the hopes that they will be met somewhere else.
ReplyDelete