Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Prisoner dilemma Game

Class on Monday was very interesting. I can understand why that Nash guy went nuts working on that problem. I learned that there are no winners in that game unless you the person who back stabs the other person. It seems like such a simple problem first time looking at it but you makes your head spin in circles as you try to find the best answer for yourself and trying to find out what the other person is thinking. If both parties could communicate it's much easier to come to a decision. That is what the activity showed us. But it also showed that you can't trust people especially if cannot communicate with them and even when you do communicate all of your negotiations and deals are thrown out the window when it comes down to the last round. 

This whole activity made me think if it is part of human nature to not trust people and to stomp on others for personal gain.

2 comments:

  1. You are completely right when you say that "your head spin[s] in circles as you try to find the best answer for yourself." I kept thinking about it after that class and I just kept saying to myself that it was such a hard idea to wrap my head around. The whole 'rational person' thing drove me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was so interesting too. At first, I did not take it that seriously because I was thinking it was just a game where we have a 50/50 chance to gain or loose money, however that completely changed after negotiations and analyzing it at the end. I must say I was caught off guard by the rational person's actions as well. I never would have thought that I would be someone to snitch on someone else, however this activity proved that anyone could be based on the situation they are in. IT is a very crazy concept to wrap your mind around, I couldn't agree more that Nash must have been nuts!!

    ReplyDelete