Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Negotiating

After reading the article for class I did not realize how complicated the art of negotiating is. There are several different strategies for different scenarios. I guess it takes time and practice to master. I think the best pointer he gave us for proper negotiating is to always make it seem that you are ready to walk out at any moment. This technique will give the advantage in a negotiating.

Today in class I was hoping I could test out a few strategies in class, but my partner did not really put up a fight when negotiating. It felt like a hollow victory. I gotta good deal but I wish my partner would have put up more of a fight.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah this is only the first stage of our negotiating skills development and i think that in your partner's case it is hard to put yourself into something and haggle when it isn't something real and meaningful.

    I agree that the walk out technique is one of the better tools along with trying to be the one to set the ballpark. Anything you can do to turn the tide in your favor helps. You can just never be satisfied with whats on the table and always try to get a little more, can't just make it seem like your about to take the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Negotiating is definitely something I find extremely interesting. I'd like to practice my skills a little more since its a good quality to have negotiating skills in the business world. Especially now that I have a little more knowledge on how to go about it. The first couple offers always seem to be the most crucial.

    ReplyDelete