Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Decision making quiz

That quiz we took on Monday was difficult to say the least, it really mad you think. I am glad Dr. Goates did not grade the quiz because I would have failed for sure. The test gave us these common sense questions that went against or with our thought processes depending on who you are. After the test we learned about all of our biases that affect us everyday. Our brain takes past experiences and using them to solve future problems. This is great if the experience is the same but I personally found it annoying. After reading the questions I often found myself second guessing myself. Theses biases are called heuristics.

I found myself falling into each heuristic based trap. These can help you but they can also hurt you.

3 comments:

  1. I found it annoying too! I was overthinking the questions and becoming frustrated because none of them really had a concrete answer. With the questions ending in what is most likely?... it prompted you towards an answer but in reality it really could have gone either way.
    The hueristics were interesting though because I thought they could be different for each person really because everyone has different past experiences but we all seemed to fall captive to the same traps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing. I saw the answers and thought wow that one really seems like it would be the answer but its so obvious that i think it isn't right so i'd pick the other one. So, in a sense, i beat the heuristics for a few but as soon as there were more than two choices i was stumped by the biases. I think that it was necessary for us to see these biases and understand their meaning so we can better avoid them when we see them in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found the quiz annoying. I would read the question and instead of having a simple answer pop out in my mind I would think about how it could go either way. I never thought my past experiences could affect future decisions that much, but at the same time, I would like them too.

    ReplyDelete